On April 16, 2015, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) released its three-year work plan for the Safer Consumer Products regulation. Even though electronics are often a target for substance restriction regulations, DTSC chose to focus on product categories that have a direct impact on consumers. The work plan outlines DTSC’s policy priorities and product categories that may be evaluated over the next three years:
- Beauty, Personal Care and Hygiene Products
- Building Products and Household, Office Furniture and Furnishings
- Building Products: Painting Products, Adhesives, Sealants, and Flooring
- Household, Office Furniture and Furnishings
- Cleaning Products
- Fishing and Angling Equipment
- Office Machinery
DTSC will use screening approaches, prioritization criteria and stakeholder consultations to identify specific products within these categories that will be investigated as potential Priority Products.
The work plan can be found on DTSC’s website at http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/SCP/PPWP.cfm. IPC will continue to monitor DTSC activities surrounding the Safer Consumer Products regulation.